[rescue] SS2 Debian install

Steve Pacenka rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 12 11:40:56 CDT 2001

At Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:54:06 -0400 linc <linc at thelinuxlink.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Steve Pacenka wrote:
>
>> Excellent point.  The old Sparcs I get are filthy inside from serving as
>> someone's room air filters for years of 24/7 usage.
>>
>> -- SP
>
>This in and of it'self is a remarkable comment about Sparcs though..  I
>can't imagine someone saying the same about an intel box.  At least not
>while implying it still works or ever will again :-)

I recently rehabbed several IBM Pentium 90 boxes that were choked with dust
from being in a college computer lab for several years; typically they were on
at least 14 hours per day.  Only one of the last six had an internal hardware
problem - unpartitionable hard drive.  I was surprised by the robustness of
these.  They would have had a much harder life than our old Sparcs, typically
with ten or twenty different people using them each day, many inserting
various zip, cd, and floppy media into various orifices.

-- SP