[rescue] HP9000/715

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 11 21:13:44 CDT 2001

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 09:41:50PM -0400, ssandau at bath.tmac.com wrote:
> Maybe I'm spoiled by using SPARCs, but I'm having a terrible time with
> an HP9000 box. All I want to do is put the OS on a quiet 2Gb drive, as
> opposed to the noisy 1Gb drive it's on now.
>
> I don't quite know enough about dd to copy data that way, and I don't
> know enough about HP's LVM stuff to just copy everything from one drive
> to the other with a cp command or something. (I can get both SCSI drives
> in the box at once.)

Perhaps make a partition on the 2gb drive indentical to the partition on
the 1gb drive, then partition the rest as a last partition.  That might
get you to be able to just dd the partitions from drive to drive (under
linux something like dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1, for each partition
needed).

> Anyone have suggestions? Aside from giving you the hardware. ;)

Darn, here I was going to ask for the hardware.

Seriously, get a bootable CD-ROM, and put NextStep on it, or otherwise,
consider getting an HP-UX cd.  Linux of pa-risc supposedly sucks, and
HP-UX has a fairly reasonable GL implementation.

--
Joshua D. Boyd