[rescue] cray sx-6

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 9 19:10:02 CDT 2001

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> You have Fujitsu (VPP/VPX), and Hitachi (SR). And then a bunch of
> universities doing a lot of application specific supercomputing (ala
> GRAPE).

GRAPE is a beautiful architecture though.  I worked with a group who did
projects on GRAPE-2 and the optimizations for gravitometric analysis were
stunning.

> One funny thing is that most of the new machines are CMOS, and I have a
> ton of old papers in my drawer that claimed that CMOS was dead, and why
> more research was needed on GaAs, ECL, opto computing, etc.... I guess

GaAs was never seriously considered for high volume mass fabrication.

Estimates I've seen showed that if Intel decided to make ever new
processor with GaAs, we'd deplete the worlds entire known gallium supply
in 6 months.

-James