[rescue] Whee! A $15 Email appliance!

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 9 15:50:13 CDT 2001

Double Whee! Whee!

Good find Bill, my package showed up fairly promptly,
and they seem to have gotten everything right (ordered
a Cidco mailstation ($14.99) and 10baseT hub (8 port,
$12.99 w/BNC port for my goofy BNC Mac 660/AV!), and
they had a special $10.95 S/H no matter how much you
order...

The Cidco looks cook - the size of a small laptop,
with a tiny text screen, but just the thing to give
that reluctant aunt to get her on email... Also sports
a calendar function, and a sort fo calculator
(four-banger!)...

I wonder how fast the modem is though - it seems to
take a bit longer than I would like... Also, it
appears to have an 8K limit on email size :^(

Reminds me of a Tandy Model 100 laptop (you can even
write emails on battery power (3x AA cells), but I
dn't know if the batteries have neough juice to drive
the modem...

Sort of cool, definitely cheap, but seems well built -
you can even have multiple email accounts (up to 5 I
think), but all on the same ISP...

Ken

--- Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 01:12:29PM -0700, Ken Hansen
> wrote:
> > http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/mailstanalem.html
> > This is a Cidco (?) mailstation thingie, but it
> comes
> > from PacTel, and it can use *any* ISP - mine is
> > downloading email from my Verizon POP server as I
> > write this!
>
> Wow, they've got lucent silver 802.11 cards for
> $59.95 too:
>
> http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/luctecorsil1.html

=====
Ken