[rescue] cray sx-6

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 9 11:52:19 CDT 2001

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

NEC is a way bigger company than CRAY, so it has the resources to pump
into the development of not just super computer architecture, but also
manufacturing. The Japanese were not allowed to sell their machines in the
US due to tariffs (free market my ass), specially in the mid to late 80s
when the Japanese not only catched but surpassed CRAY as the performance
leader. There are plenty of markets besides USA and Japan, you know?
Specially when there is only 1 American vector company vs 3 Japanese
vector manufacturers..... :-)

I still find it ironic that Cray (well it really is TERA anyways) is now
selling SX's which were NECs response to American supers....