[rescue] cray sx-6

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 9 09:00:08 CDT 2001

Slightly off topic, but I don't think anyone real really care.

Cray recently annouced that they will be rebranding the NEC SX-6.  Now,
from what I can find, the SX-6 is a vector machine, like the SV-2 (also
from Cray).  Does anyone have any idea why it makes sense to be pushing a
competing vector machine next to your own?  Some people (who probably
don't know anything) are saying it indicates the death of the US
supercomputer market, although I couldn't have said that Japan had any
more of a market than we do.

--
Joshua D. Boyd