[rescue] Career Rescue (was DEC Pro 350, or something)

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 8 18:17:19 CDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 05:52:16PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> Right on!  I don't know how many times I've had to educate consulting
> companies what an appropriate hourly rate is - and that you get what you pay
> for.

I normally work around here, for long-time established clients, for $50/hour -
but this is stuff like "my printer wont print"; "need this new machine setup
on the network", etc.

I could get higher by bringing in new clients, but these guys have supported
me (and even "come up" with work, when I needed grocery money) since 1998 or
so, so I support them back.  Plus, its a long-term "job" for my resume.

> I actually made a headhunter choke on his overpriced coffee-based beverage
> when I told him my hourly rate was $150.

I did that to an ex-employer who tried to re-hire me 2.5 years after I
left in disgust - and it was SO nice to tell them that I was making 3x
what they'd paid me before.  Dude's eyes got REAL big.  "I'm afraid we
couldnt pay you that much."  "Didnt think so.  Thanks for lunch!"

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net