[rescue] Script Kiddies (Was: FW: Sun Microsystems...)

Andrew Weiss rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 8 00:07:11 CDT 2001

> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 16:24:27 -0600
> From: "Derrick D. Daugherty" <derrick at blinky-lights.org>
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Script Kiddies (Was: FW: Sun Microsystems...)

> Also, you're "commercial mainstream" comment can be lent to large
> corps..oohh..say M$ "Certification"  That means shit, but it's "industry
> standard"  I'm similar disenchanged with cisco's certs, unless its' a
> CCIE.  Our NOCC had several ccna/ccdp and more than two of them have
> actually responded to me with "what's traceroute"  when I asked what the
> output looked like.   Certified my ass.

Yeah but these same people de-value those certifications for the rest of
us who use them sometimes desperately to try to get our collective feet
in the door... especially without a computer-related degree.  The CCNP
was no walk in the park... but it didn't kill me either.  It will take
some time before I'm ready to tackle the CCIE (it's on my list...along
with Solaris and Oracle Certs.)  But yes I did try for the MCP/MCSE
first... because I knew it would be easy... Yes most of the other
certified people I meet at least on the MS part are dumber than dirt and
only good at memorizing things, but occasionally you find people only
using these as stepping stone tools.  I foolishly didn't change my major
with enough time left in order to get a degree.  I was on a limited
budget so I majored in Organic Synthetic Chemistry instead... but did I
want to do that permanently... not really...  The IS department at the
first pharmaceutical company I worked at got on my nerves like the
plague... The management had a number of discussions with me because I
simply thought they were feebs and hated the way they just rearranged
everything on me every time they sat at my workstation.  Then of course
they collectively insisted on us using Outlook Web Access locally...
DURR!... I continued to use Outlook full edition and then of course they
re-canted on that decision.  Now looking back on those days and having
our own Exchange installation... you realize what a fetid pile of crap
OWA is... it's only really good for people who just can't use IMAP or
POP and are offsite...some of our international people do indeed use
this feature.

Sometimes I just wish there was a way to drive your potential value home
to a prospective employer even when you don't have any of the experience
they are looking for... at least maybe not exactly.... but I'm still one
of those people who learned Exchange 5.5 overnight... went in the next
day and solved a problem that my current company had paid consultants to
do and they couldn't do jack.

Andrew