[rescue] Script Kiddies (Was: FW: Sun Microsystems...)

Mike Meredith rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Oct 6 16:45:12 CDT 2001

On Saturday 06 October 2001 22:22, you wrote:
> On October 6, G W Adkins wrote:
> > This is why we need to 'reach out to America's youth' (ewww, that
> > sounded awful...)  No, but seriously, this is something we _need_
> > to become at least a _little_ involved in...  If we don't, then
> > people like us will diminish in numbers, and always be the
> > misunderstood minority.
>
>   I think that's already happened, man.
>
>   It seems common that someone who knows a little Perl and can
> reinstall Windows all by him/herself is considered to be a "computer
> expert" these days.
>
>   Worse yet, these people are considered by many to "know how
> computers work"...which precious few of them actually do.

Too gloomy by far (although I don't know about America's young people).

Although I'm a long way from direct student support these days, I still
encounter the occasional student whose queries indicate that they
aren't completely dumb and show signs of some promise.

What's happening is that far more people are using computers these
days, so the ones who have a clue (or are in the process of getting
one) are far less visible. I suspect there's just as many good young
ones as there ever were.