[rescue] Re: BBQ

Clay Mellender rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Oct 6 15:35:51 CDT 2001

	Oddly enough, if your equipment is working properly and you are
licenced for the frequencies that are causing the interference you dont
have to do anything to correct/reduce the problem. In the late 70's the
local cable company was somehow running HBO at 148 Mhz. Whenever I was
transmitting on my 2 meter single sideband radio with the 5 foot beam,
half of Madison (WI) was able to hear my half of the conversation
(Especially when pointed downtown!).
 	Polite requests from the cable company fell on my deaf ears (I dont
have much use for TV). They complained to the FCC, and were told that my
licence allowed me to use the 2 meter band, and my equipment(I-COM
"IC-211") more than met the standards for interference, harmonics, and
the like. All of a sudden, about six months later, letters were sent out
to all subscribers informing them that their cable "Box" would be
"Upgraded" in the course of the next few months.  It must have been
really expensive to change frequencies and replace all the cable
converters in Madison. Fortunately for them, in 1978 or '79 there
couldnt have been more than 10,000 or so subscribers:)

Clay