[rescue] Re: suitspeak/marketspeak

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 5 23:35:34 CDT 2001

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 07:38:34PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > Isn't that just a vector field indicating Work, (ie w=int from t1
> > to t2 m*a DT?  I maintain that if mass isn't moved over time, then work
> > isn't done.  Which means that most of us geek types don't do all that much
> > work.
>
>   Hey, keycaps have mass. :)

As we were told in Calc 3, if the vector field is uniform, the the
position vector Vi=Vf (Vi = initial position, Vf = final position) then
the work (which is the area under the curve) is zero.  If a keyboard were
an ideal system (meaning ideal springs with no external forces), then the
vector field (albiet a 1 dimensional vector field) would be uniform, if I
recall correctly, meaning that mathematically, no work was done.

Let me tell you.  Math classes higher than Calc 2 are not to be taken
lightly.  They tend to seriously screw up ones perceptions.  Ever since
linear algebra, I keep having dreams where I was transported to a
different vector space and everything was warped accordingly.  Further, I
see colors as being rotated, and actually begin to understand imaginary
numbers.

Worse, I get irritable when physics or CS proffessors lie to simplify
things they don't want to explain.

--
Joshua D. Boyd