[rescue] FW: Sun Microsystems to Cut Jobs, Sees Wider-Than-Expected Loss

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 5 16:40:53 CDT 2001

On October 5, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >   What's a PHB?
>
> Pointy Haired Boss.  From Dilbert.

  Ahh, ok.  Thanks.

> > > OK, what is wrong with ISDN?  If there is no DSL or cable in the area, it
> > > is the next best thing.
> >
> >   ISDN sucks.  It's full of inter-implementation incompatibilities, it's
> > slow, and it's unreliable.
>
> So, if the choice was a 23.6k modem or ISDN would you choose the modem out
> of principle, or settle for ISDN?

  Nope.  I'd move to a place where I can get decent connectivity.

> Yeah, I knew that, but I don't really know anything about kerberos, like
> whether it uses keys or not.

  It does, but in a different way.  It's neat, actually, if a little
complex.  But it scales VERY well.

> I'm willing to conceed that SSH might not be as good as
> Kerberos.  However, SSH is the only thing supported for communicating to
> the school's computers, and it seems to be good enough, but I don't really
> know all that much about security intricacies.  I still set up all
> accounts on my home machines by editing /etc/passwd, and have to do this
> for each and every machine (except for the lamo wintel boxes of course).

  And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  It just doesn't
work that well for *me* in my particular situation. :-)

    -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD