[rescue] Recommended patches

Kevin Loch rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 30 18:26:49 CST 2001

Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 04:47:47PM -0500, Kevin Loch wrote:
> > Why would anyone run a Sun3?  or a 4/200?  Because they're old
> > and fun to play with.
> > KL
>
> Yes, but if a machine will run 2.5, why not run it?

This isn't for work.  This is for just plain screwing around.
The same reason I might want to run old hardware I might want
to run old software too.  Not as a rule, but as an experiment
to see what it is like, and how much I can get to work.

> On any machine that will run it, I'd really recommend 2.5.1 or 2.6 over
> 8 (sun4m).. I can understand running SunOS 4.x on a box, but not sol2.1-2.4
> if the box will run and is supported by 2.5/2.5.1.

Now this is interesting.  I thought the concensus was that 8 is
faster than 7 or 6 *if* you have enough ram *and* you disable all
the fluff.  Is that not true on sun4m?

KL