[rescue] 100 Things To Do With That Old Sun

Gary Nichols rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 28 10:19:42 CST 2001

Ah, but I must contribute to this thread.

My fiance worked out of my home office (ok, it's a kit room) for a few
months before she landed her new job.  In said kit room are an Ultra 30
and two SS/5 machines (and other architectures that are irrelevant at
this point).  Located a few feet away from the kit room is my throne
room (errr ok it's a bathroom).

One day I was bored out of my skull at work and decided to ssh home to
check uptimes, backups, etc.  Evil thoughts crept into my head... EVIL
thoughts.  A quick scan of the Ultra 30 produced some .au files that
were interesting.  One caught my eye.. yes.... oh yes... the toilet
flush .au file.   One by one my Sun children had the toiletflush sound
file piped into their /dev/audio.... but this was taking too many key
strokes.
A script must be written.
There, now my friend cron will do it for me.
Minutes later my office phone rings.  The conversation went something
like this:

Me: "Hello?"
Her: "Ummm hi honey.  For some reason the toilet is flushing by itself
ever few minutes!"
Me: "Really... interesting.  Are you sure it's not stuck? *snicker*"
Her: "No, it's not stuck!  I checked."
Me: "hmmm ok, are the dogs sneaking into the bathroom?"
Her: "I don't think so.  Can they flush the toilet?"
Me: "They are pretty smart dear."
Her: "Wait!  I just heard it again!  And the dogs are outside!"
Me: "OMG!  That's weird!  What do you think we should do?"
Her: "I don't know!  That's why I'm calling you!"
(I start cat'ing other sounds into the machines)
Her: "Wait... I hear cowbells!"
Me: "Honey did you take that migraine medicine again?"
Her: "No!  I swear I hear cowbells!!!"
Me: "Alright... go laydown and take a nap.  You're working too hard."
Her: "I'M NOT WORKING TOO HARD!  SOMETHING IS MAKING A DAMN COWBELL
SOUND!"
(I change the .au file)
Her: "NOW IT'S A GOD DAMN SLIDE WHISTLE!  ARE YOU DOING SOMETHING?"
(*hysterical laughter at this point*)

It took me 10 seconds to explain to her what I did and 10 days to beg
forgiveness.