[rescue] pkgadd failure - checkinstall

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 28 08:10:01 CST 2001

I kept my mouth shut yesterday because I didn't want to follow
up a boneheaded move with another boneheaded move.

do_cluster_install should let you install without unzipping the
patches first.  (In general, if you're installing a package
and you can already see the "checkinstall" script, then in
my experience you may have opened the package up too far.)

To *ensure* I'm not being an eediot today, I just ran
  sh do_cluster_install 8_Recommended.zip
on the U170E on my desk, and it blew up with some wackiness
about
  /bin/find: cannot open 1*.tar.Z: No such file or directory
  /bin/find: cannot open 1*: No such file or directory
  Ordering the patch list.....

Anyone seen this?

The alternative to do_cluster_install, is that if you've
already unzipped 8_Recommended.zip, cd into the directory
it created and run ./install_cluster.

Note that for anyone who doesn't already know about them:
  A.  If you're installing patches and you care about
      realtime speed, you want Casper Dik's fastpatch,
	which is now part of the "auto-install" utility
  ftp://www.wins.uva.nl/pub/solaris/auto-install/

  B.  If you want to do much of anything with keeping
      your patches up-to-date, it's worth checking out
      PatchReport (which has an online version)
  ftp://ftp.cs.duke.edu/pub/PatchReport/index.html

Perhaps at least one person on the list wasn't aware of
all that--I didn't know about the online PatchReport until
I looked around.

--still trying to make up for yesterday, Rip