[rescue] mesg: cannot change mode

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 27 11:23:25 CST 2001

1.  *PLEASE* trim at least some of the crap off messages to which
    you are replying.
2.  You probably don't want "mesg n" in /etc/profile, but you
    probably *do* want it in a .profile for root.  "mesg n"
    stops other local users from sending you certain immediate
    messages--and depending on the terminal you're using, some
    of those messages can really fubar your terminal.  We used
    to do that kind of crap 12 years ago when I was in college,
    and all my login scripts still have a "mesg n" as a
    security measure.  No idea how valid an attack it still is,
    but there is probably some residual risk.
3.  When logged in as root, you should almost *never* do a
    "su - username"--because that will give you rootly powers
    but a configuration decided upon by an untrusted user.
    Since all the trusted users (admins) should be logging in
    as themselves and then using sudo, the only time anyone
    might su to a non-root account would be to check things
    out or fix something in that account...and it's a bad idea
    to assume that the non-root account is trustworthy.

So, bottom line:
 "mesg n" good.
 "sudo" good.  (*VERY* good, dammit)
 "su - [root]" okay (and better than "su [root]").
 "su username" okay.
 "su - username" bad.

Questions?

--