[rescue] Okay.. OS thoughts

Kurt Mosiejczuk rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 26 10:17:31 CST 2001

On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Now, I'm looking at making this my "OS Testbed" machine.  It doesent
> have enough disk space to dork around with Solaris9 on, so I'm thinking
> of the following:

> - OpenBSD (hrm, looks like U5/U10 support sucks)
> - NetBSD (hrm.  *maybe*)
> - Linux (Debian?  I cant find any other good available-on-CD ports for
>   Sparc/Sparc64..)

OpenBSD support is still really young... and I haven't played with NetBSD
on this architecture.  I HAVE used Debian Linux on the U5 on my desk and
it worked well...

If you go Debian (which I would), go for the testing distribution.  It's
much more up to date (including stuff like X 4.1.0) and they are in the
process of freezing, so you shouldn't see much weirdness.

--Kurt