[rescue] Okay.. OS thoughts

James Sharp rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 25 23:12:56 CST 2001

> - NetBSD (hrm.  *maybe*)

Doubtful.  the portmaster gets it almost working on one class of machine,
but then gets a new shiny thing to play with and almost ports it to that,
then gets yet a new shiny thing.  It "almost" boots on everything from a
U1 to an E450.

> - Linux (Debian?  I cant find any other good available-on-CD ports for
>   Sparc/Sparc64..)

Debian wasn't bad on my U30, except for it being a castiron pain in the
ass cause it didn't like my Raptor card.

> Machine doesent have a floppy drive, and I dont really intend to put
> one in.. Does NetBSD have anything like a software RAID and/or
> logging filesyste/softupdates yet?  If so, I may throw a couple of
> large IDE drives in this beast and make it the home fileserver..

NetBSD has a very mature development of raidframe and softupdates, no
logging filesystem though.   I had a momentary lapse of reason and
pondered porting XFS to NetBSD, but then I woke up.