[rescue] Is this a VAXstation?

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 25 22:34:31 CST 2001

[ On Sunday, November 25, 2001 at 21:55:37 (-0600), Shawn Wallbridge wrote: ]
> Subject: [rescue] Is this a VAXstation?
>
> I rescued an old Digital machine the other day and I am trying to figure out
> what it is. I think it is a VAXstation, but I don't know.
>
> Here are some pictures and descriptions....
>
> http://www.maximum-geek.com/dec_machine/digital_machine.html

You didn't write down what the model number is -- it's impossible to
make out from the photo of the label.

The 5016674 is an M7555 card, aka RQDX3 -- it's a Q-bus MSCP (mass
storage control protocol) combination controller for MFM drives (just
like the two drives you've got) and a floppy drive.  The drives will
have mudels such as RX50, RX33, RD5[123] or RD3x.

The DQ696 is also an MSCP disk controller, but for 2 ESDI disks.

Given the M9405-YB Q-bus extension connector card (with terminators)
though I'd bet what you've got is a BA23 expansion box for either a
MicroVAX or MicroPDP machine, complete with q-bus backplane, disks, and
q-bus controllers for those disks.

(BTW, google is your friend -- it'll quickly turn up answers when handed
a model number, chip number, etc.)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>