Pumping Gas (was: St. Pete (was RE: [rescue] Sun Ray Thoughts?))

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Nov 24 12:13:20 CST 2001

On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 12:12:56AM +0000, Paul Sladen wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, James Lockwood wrote:
> >
> > Every time I've done it, I've pulled in front of the pump, gone in to the
> > cashier, paid my money, came out and had the attendent pick up the
> > pump handle and hand it to me.
>
> That just stuck me.... In Britland, we pay for the fuel /after/ we've filled
> up the vehicle.  The amount we pay is dependant on how much you have put
> in... how's it work over there?  Do you only get to put in what you've
> already paid for?

We do it both ways in the US.  It depends on the gas stations policy.  With
prepay, the pump usually shuts off when you've reached the amount that you
paid for.  So, if you want to fill the tank, you need to pay more than you
could possibly need, then run back in to get your change when you are done.

Very stupid.  But more and more stations are switching to using this policy
after dark.

--
Joshua D. Boyd