[rescue] Small Installs (was: SBUS expansion box)

Paul Sladen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 23 17:15:46 CST 2001

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 12:11:55PM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
>
> BTW, in case anyone ever thinks of trying out NetBSD on a low disk space
> machine (ie, sub gig machines), I'm sure it works, but I keep having trouble
> over filling the disk while I try to get software onto it.

I've found Debian (www.debian.org) to be the best for small disk systems, it
installs in about 50MB being usable from that point onwards; and even with
the nice stuff--emacs, X, et al.--still keeps to 100MB-150MB... very
comfortable on a 1gig disk.

Work on the princple of only apt-getting (installing) things when you
*actually* find that you need/want to use them.

	-Paul