[rescue] Blades in the dark

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 23 16:08:00 CST 2001

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 03:39:03PM -0600, Scott Newell wrote:
> >I agree wholeheartedly.  very few things have hurt this sector as badly as
> >the PeeCee.
>
> Wow.  I know I wouldn't be doing any programming if it weren't for personal
> computers (I'm using the term PC in a broad sense--not just the IBM PC).  I
> think cheap ubiquitous computing has been a great thing, even if it has
> diluted the importance of the old-school computing high priesthood.

I think he was specifically complaining about the IBM PC.  Of course, that
brings up the question: Was the original PC really that bad, or is it the fact
that they failed to keep up that is so awefull?  I mean, Apple had some pretty
nice CPUs in '84, but IBM came out with the 286 instead (yech).  If only all
the people in the late 80s, early 90s had bought Macs.  But then, I wouldn't
really be able to program since a computer would never have been affordable
(50% profit margins and all, ya know).

--
Joshua D. Boyd