[rescue] Bodoman is at it again...

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 23 08:51:44 CST 2001

> > Perhaps more disturbing was the term untermench (under man, or translated
> > sub-human) used to refer to those of us who were not the aryan ideal.
>
> Two excellent thoughts. I think both terms are disturbing. That is
> exactly the kind of image (for some reason) that came to mind. I'm a
> good old WASP, of German anscestry even, maybe just easily spooked.

i think anyone who is aware of it would in fact find the term untermench quite
a bit disturbing, but that's the one that no-one knows.  i'm not talking about
people like us who are enlightened and/or interested in history, but the
population in general.  i remember that i was told what uebermann was in HS,
but i don't ever remember hearing about the untermann, i had to go learn that
one on my own (yea public school system).  but anyway, i digress.

i use the term ueber quite a bit.  i also speak a bit of german, so i know what
it means and how to use it.  most people i know have heard of the term uebermann
and have learned what it means in the hitleresque context.  so if the knee-jerk
reaction to uebergeek is one of horror, well then i'm not surprised.  but, i
will explain the meaning of the word if the reactant is willing to listen and
learn.

-brian