[rescue] Blades in the dark

Steve Sandau rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 22 19:34:37 CST 2001

Yeah, I did the graphic design thing, too. Bought $40K worth of (real)
typesetting equipment (Varityper) adn a stat camera about two years
before PageMaker became so popular. Arrrrgh. "Look at my brochure! I did
it meyself!" Yes, and it looks like crap. That business went in the
toilet with lots of debt. However, it did get me back into electronics
and computers; I had to repair my own equipment of course.

For some reason the IT field seems a little less vulnerable. I know
fewer people that set up their own firewalls than used to set up their
own brochures... I don't deal much with users, though, just the 30 or so
in my office. They're pretty good, too. They know what they're capable
of, and know when to call me because they haven't a clue what to do.
Maybe I'm just spoiled now.