[rescue] RS/6000 bits and pieces

Mike Katchabaw rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 22 12:18:48 CST 2001

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is OT or not, but I see people posting a lot
of RS/6000 questions and items here from time to time.

I recently came into possession of an RS/6000 3AT from some fellow who
paid a ton of money for it at the time, but got frustrated when the
SCSI on the main board ceased working.  Everything comes up to a point
and falls over trying to find to find a SCSI device to boot from.  To
him, the cost for repairs exceeded what he was willing to put into it,
and he left it to me when he moved.  He lost the key for it (uggghhhh)
and subsequently bent the case and lock mechanism (double uggghhhh)
opening the box up.

Since the SCSI on the board is dead, and the lock mechanism likely
busted beyond repair, I decided to part the thing out.  I think I have
been able to ID most of the parts, but I have difficulty trying to
find a value for most of it on the net, except the memory (which looks
to be high to me, but I'm no expert on it either).  So I was
wondering:

 - Have I ID'ed this stuff correctly?
 - How much are these different bits worth?
 - Would anyone here be interested in them?  I have a couple feelers
   out locally, but I thought I'd check here before going to eBay.
 - Any ideas where else to try?

Many thanks in advance!

Mike.

---

For RS/6000 3AT
---------------

o Memory:

  Good for 3AT, 3BT (allegedly also for 390, 380, 370, 37T, 360, 34H
                     and possibly others)
  2x64 MB kits (memory+riser card)

  - each riser card has 8 8MB sticks
  - riser card P/N 52G4734
  - sticks are IBM FRU 70F9976, P/N 68X6357
  - all worked on last boot

  - http://www.laptopmania.com/memory/m003239.shtml has for $530 each

o The 3AT processor riser card:
  - FRU 11H3465
  - worked on last boot

  - Value unknown

o 10 Meg Ethernet Thick/Thin board:

  - The little guy with AUI and BNC connectors
  - P/N 52G4737
  - FRU 43G0382
  - worked on last boot

  - Value unknown

o Video adapter:

  - Has a 1-E label on the back
  - FRU 11H2534
  - P/N 66G4161
  - IBM parts says number changed to 93H1527
  - IBM parts says it is a GXT150M, an 8bit color 1280X1024 board
    (others I asked say it should then have a 1-D sticker instead)
  - 13W3 connector

  - Value unknown
  - Any ideas exactly what this thing is?

For RS/600 Powerstation 220, 22W, 230, 23S, 23T, 23W

o Memory:

  - leftovers from gutting and tossing some Powerstation 220's (was
    too late to rescue the boxes)
  - 20x8MB 70NS P Simms with gold edge connector
  - P/N 71F7011
  - FRU 64F3606
  - worked on last boot

  http://www.laptopmania.com/memory/m003213.shtml has for $40 each