[rescue] 100 Things To Do With That Old Sun

Mark Price rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 22 00:29:07 CST 2001

Well guys, lately I've been wanting to play around with the few Suns I
have.
I thought I remembered there being a list --somewhere-- on the internet
of
interesting things to do with an old PC/sun/mac/etc.  I couldn't find
any such
list so I decided to start my own.  I'm having trouble coming up with
ideas
besides the basic network services.  Unfortunately I only have 1 public
IP
from my ISP (roadrunner), so I can't have more than one machine serving
on
the internet.  Most of these ideas I'm coming up with are for the
sun4c/4m
class, just because that is all I have.

Send in your ideas and I'll put them all on a webpage.

-- small-time server WWW, FTP, DNS, mail, time, sql, fax, router
-- syslog host (requires a large hard drive)
-- text workstation for reading mail, ssh'ing around
-- X terminal (requires decent color framebuffer and monitor)
-- SETI and Distributed.net computing
-- MP3 jukebox (an LX might be capable?)
-- introductory learning platform for NetBSD, OpenBSD

thanks

Mark