[rescue] 100 Things To Do With That Old Sun

Scott Newell rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 21 22:23:13 CST 2001

>-- small-time server WWW, FTP, DNS, mail, time, sql, fax, router
>-- syslog host (requires a large hard drive)
>-- text workstation for reading mail, ssh'ing around
>-- X terminal (requires decent color framebuffer and monitor)
>-- SETI and Distributed.net computing
>-- MP3 jukebox (an LX might be capable?)
>-- introductory learning platform for NetBSD, OpenBSD

CVS server

Network time server (connect external ref sources to serial ports)

I think it would be cool to netboot some RTOS (RTEMS maybe) and have some
digital I/O lines out to the real world.  None of my sun4c boxes have
parallel ports--something I always found extremely handy on PCs for
bit-banging connections to relays, DACs, ADCs, etc.

DIY CNC machine tool control with a sun4?  Again, this is something that
would require some I/O lines to control the external hardware.

Hacking Forth with the openboot prom--no drive or OS needed!

Plug in a microphone and use the box as a remote audio surveillance device?

Didn't Mike Hebel run a sun4c in his car?

newell