[rescue] Pathetic TV shows and computers?

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 20 14:48:44 CST 2001

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 06:12:38PM -0500, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Maybe it was artistic license - how can you say "CISC" and sound
> "cool"? ;^)

Vader was cool, and wasn't he a dark lord of the CISC?

But seriously, the P6 and later do seem to be emphasizing RISC like attributes.
For instance, usage of obscure instructions seems to be discouraged, and the
main instructions run blazing fast, if you don't force them to do memory
accesses.  So, instead of ld and st, we use mov, and then we treat it like a
risc machine with an inadequate number of registers.  This pretty much applies
to the P5 as well as the P6 and later.

Further, apparently the P6 and later are designed more along the lines of a
CISC translater built around a RISC core.  At least, that is what Byte argued.

OK, so it seems like a weak argument, but for me that is enough when it already
seems like a weak distinction.

--
Joshua D. Boyd