[rescue] [OT?] Humidty

George Adkins rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 19 19:43:55 CST 2001

> 	So I guess my question is two fold. One, what is the effects of
> humidity on computer equipment.
Humidity of 60-70% hekps keep static at a minimum.  The major issue is to
keep a non-condensing temp/humidity combination.  Humidity also improves the
therm carrying capacity of air and reduces it's viscosity (heh,heh... not by
much though. :)  If I were a Server, I'd want to be kept at 62 degrees F and
65% humidity.
Incidentally, these conditions would be near ideal for storing Wine and
Cigars as well...

> That it shortens componet life?
I'd like to think that it would save me from the occasional dry cap going
off, but I don't think that's really true, I think age kills capacitors, not
low humidity.

> second part is, if it is a concern, what do you guys do to control the
> humidty in your computer rooms?

A well built air handling system has humidification / dehumidification
included in the system. otherwise, a dehumidifier and careful monitoring.
Personally, I have a basement that's just right all by itself with
surprisingly little outside interference.

George