[rescue] Silly NetBSD question

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 19 09:37:14 CST 2001

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 12:16:09AM -0600, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> > > Edit /etc/group and add yourself to wheel.
> > OK.  So I have:
> > wheel:*:0:root, joshua
> > Still no go.
> > So, I tried:
> > wheel:*:0:root;joshua
> > and again no go.
>
> No, like this:
> wheel:*:0:root,joshua

OK.  That fixed it.  So, I guess this system is stupid about whitespace.  Oh
well.

> > I think I might have telnet working (I tried to telnet into the machine, and
> > it didn't refuse the connection, but a minute later I still have no login
> > prompt.  But maybe it is just slow.  My old lintel 486 used to do the same
> > thing.).
>
> First guess would be a timeing-out DNS lookup.

Hmm.  I'll have to look into that.  I thought I had everything using the hosts
file first before DNS, but I'll have to check.  Once I get a bit farther with
this machine, I plan to load SunOS4 or NetBSD on an IPX to use as a
boot/DNS/dhcp server.  I'm trying to set up these two boxes to take over for
a win98 box running Windows Internet Connection Sharing.  Then maybe people
will stop looking at my computer room funny like.

> minicom sucks for serial consoles.  It's why God make C-Kermit :)

Thanks.  I asked about that once, but never got any replies.

--
Joshua D. Boyd