[rescue] Pathetic TV shows and computers?

Fogg, James rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 19 08:34:08 CST 2001

I had a customer once that watched way too many movies like this. He wanted
2 really big light-up signs in his "Operations Command  Center" (what we
would call a systems room or something). The sign was to be neon or
flourescent and display "WAN Normal" in green when his two T1's were up, and
switch to display (in red) "WAN Failure" if a T dropped, and ring a bell. I
had a polite talk with him, but couldn't discourage him. I finally lied and
said it was technically impossible to get a CSU to provide a relay closure
on failure. The sick part was this guy was very well paid, in a position of
authority, and worked for a major bank in the Harrisburg, PA area. This
wasn't the only fsck'd-up thing he was known to do, either.

Oh, and you can run SSH on your Cisco's now, but its a huge PITA the way
they do it.