[rescue] DLT tape drive.

George Adkins rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Nov 17 23:46:07 CST 2001

On Sunday 18 November 2001 12:19 am, you wrote:
> does anyone know of you put the wrong tape in a DLT drive if it'll just
> barf CRC errors?  I have a DLT2000 drive and it used DLT III or DLT IIIXT
> tapes, the only tape I have for it is a DLT IV which from what I gather
> isn't supported :(  (not i know at least) when I attemted to label the tape
> it didn't even seem to try to do anything, just immediately came back with
> a CRC error :(

Nope, you need DLT III or DLT IIIXT's, the tape composition is different,
different coatings, I think even different punchout-code holes in the tape.

It's a shame, since DLT tapes have no magnetic silliness on them (unlike some
other formats, that's why you can bulk-erase them) to foul the process... and
DLT III's are getting thin on the used market last time I looked.

George