[rescue] How to stop colormap flashing w. Creator3D Buffer

George Adkins rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 15 23:59:54 CST 2001

> The darn thing will
> not start on a 24bit colormap, unless it is windowed (not in root window
> mode). When xv is running then other applications will go through the
> colormap flashing. Is there anything I have to set within Xsun?

Xsun root windows defaults to 8 bit, you can force Xsun to 24bit in the root
window with the following:

#mkdir -p /etc/dt/config
#cp /usr/dt/config/Xservers /etc/dt/config/
#vi /etc/dt/config/Xservers

change the last line:
   :0   Local local_uid at console root /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun :0 -nobanner

to: (all one line, no CR in the middle)
   :0   Local local_uid at console root /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun :0 -nobanner
 -dev /dev/fb0 defclass TrueColor defdepth 24

then tell dtlogin to re-read the config file so it will use
/etc/dt/config/Xservers instead of /usr/dt/config/Xservers.  I think you can
use:

# /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -reset
or reboot the machine.

Enjoy!