[rescue] Serial Output via Ethernet wire

Derrick D. Daugherty rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 15 17:42:38 CST 2001

It's rumored that around Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 09:31:55AM -0800
"Dunbar, Brian" <Brian.Dunbar at Plexus.com> wrote:
> Serial Output via Ethernet wire
>
> I have a small collection of Sun machines in a closet.  I'd like to access
> their serial ports from my desk.  I have an unused Ethernet cable run
> between the two.
>
> What's the best way (Is there a way?) to pipe the output from the various
> serial ports on the sun computers via the Ethernet run to my desk?

Umm... even cheaper... assuming you don't want actual ethernet framing
you can buy little adapters, or make them, that take an rj45 and turn it
into db9..i have tons of these things..any parts place should have
them..

but a terminal server would mean only one run and handle all the boxes.

just a cheap thought

^D

ps: 10 points for anyone who knows what the 'rj' part of rj45 stands
for.  and another 10 for 'bnc'   if you google you're cheating.