[rescue] Cdrom and floppy specs

Mike Nicewonger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 15 11:17:03 CST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael A. Turner <mturner at whro.org>
To: rescue at sunhelp.org <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Date: Thursday, November 15, 2001 10:23 AM
Subject: [rescue] Cdrom and floppy specs

> Now the questions. Whta kind of floppies do these beasties take? are
>they standered PC type floppy drives? can I just strip a PC system and
throw
>those floppies into these systems? I also have a dead IPC that I can strip
>drive out of, is this the same type of drive?

No the PeeCee drive is not your friend. The drive from an ICP will work with
no problem in the Ultra 1, it will also work in the SS4 but you will need
the mounting 'wheels' for the SS4/5/20. Truth is you will rarely need a
floppy drive.

> CD-rom, obviously scsi of course. What are the limitations on what
>kind I can use? Anything to look out for, any particular gotchas? I got
some
>scsi 4 speeds laying around should I just stick those in and will they fit
>(stadered 5 1/4 form factor).

As for CD-ROM's. You will need a CD-ROM capable of 512 byte block settings.
Not all SCSI CD-ROM's will work. I suggest you read the CD-ROM FAQ on
www.sunhelp.org. The SS4 will require this. The U1 may or may not care. The
SS4 will also require the special 1" thick CD like the SS5/20 but with the
SS4 you will also need the cables. The best bet is to put a compatible
CD-ROM into an external case that way the machines can share.

Cheers,

Mike N