[rescue] AIX for Apple network server

David Rouse rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 15 10:22:24 CST 2001

On Wednesday, November 14, 2001, at 05:06  PM, roosmcd at dds.nl wrote:

>  How hard is it to get the special AIX version which runs on the Apple
> network
> server? I've just seen one today and was thinking about buying it :).
> Any other
> special things to look for?

Although AIX has some spiffiness, there is also a version of Yellow Dog
Linux that runs on the things -- that might be a better option for
maintainability's sake.

>  And what's a reasonable price for 500/133? They were asking $500,
> seems high
> to me, but I guess that's largely because they have no idea what it
> actually
> is. I could probably get it much cheaper.

It sounds absurd. Spares are almost impossible to find and the drive
mounts, PS, and CPU daughter cards are, I think, unique to it.

Now, they are still neat machines ... I just don't think I could pay
$500 for one (particularly the low end model).

--
drouse