[rescue] FDDI

James Sharp rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 14 15:12:30 CST 2001

> I have never used FDDI and I don't have any other cards (yet), but I was
> curious. If you have two machines, can you just 'cross-over' like with
> Ethernet? I was bidding on a 14port FDDI 'Concentrator', do I need one if I
> only have half a dozen machines?

Yup, you can do cross overs with the appropriate cable.  And, while you
can run a FDDI ring from machine to machine to machine to machine....a
concentrator is a little more fault tolerant.  Unless you create a full
ring with your fddi connections, if one machine breaks then your ring is
split into two pieces that can't see each other.