[rescue] Fair price on an Ultra1?

Stephen Dowdy rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 14 11:02:59 CST 2001

Ken Hansen says:

> Comdisco (I got a new price list, but left it at the office - I'll highlight
> and repost Lily's contact info again). They have U30s($350), more U60s
> ($850), and some U2s ($500) as well - figure on $75 - 100 more for Tax, S/H.

Electro-Rent has a few U2's for less than comdisco right now.

http://www.erpcsales.com/products/search/detail.cfm?MFRModel=SUN%2DUL2%2D200&CurrentPage=1

Has an Ultra2/200 w/ 128MB, 4GB disk, and Creator Series1 for $300.

Bill Cooke at Configured Workstations has 200MHz modules for $25/ea
(www.cwiw.com) so you can make a nice cheap dual 200 box for < $350.
(He's also usually got some good deals on U1s and U2s)

Realize that the 200 is a US-I module, the 300 is a US-II and has twice
the cache, if that kind of thing matters to you. (the 200 is affected by
the highly improbable 64-bit lockup bug)

http://www.erpcsales.com/products/search/detail.cfm?MFRModel=SUN%2DUL2%2D300&CurrentPage=1

Has some Ultra2/300s, but they're in the same price range as Comdisco's
stuff, except you get a Creator Series1 with them. (i don't think
Comdisco's $500 U2s have a framebuffer, but i recall Lily saying she'd
drop in a Series1 Creator for $50)

Retrobox has some Ultra60s configured like:
U60, 1x360MHz cpu, 512MB RAM, 2 9GB disks (and i think an AFB frame buffer) for $725 (ouch!)
http://www.retrobox.com/rbwww/home/search_results.asp?bin_id=world&unit_class_id=44

--stephen
--
Stephen Dowdy - Systems Administrator - CS Dept - Univ of Colorado at Boulder
dowdy at cs.colorado.edu  --  http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~dowdy/signature.html