St. Pete (was RE: [rescue] Sun Ray Thoughts?)

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 13 21:06:30 CST 2001

Here we go, one of my pet peves...

I don't want to pump my own gas, and I am fond of my cars...

Suprisingly, the reason most folks cite for wanting to pump their own gas is
that it is cheaper... Well, gas is cheaper in NJ than PA (by and large), so
that is not true (based on my exhaustive research, 20 years of driving in NJ
& PA, nothing more).

While it is "illegal" to pump your own gas, it is rarely enforced - as a
practical matter most folks wait for the attendent, and those that don't are
"endured" by the "pump jockey"...

My mother has *never* pumped her own gas, and she has no interest in
starting now (in her early 60's) - and why should she? My father typically
fills her car, and if she is on the road, she pays the extra to have someone
else get the fumes on their hands and stand in the "hot/cold"...

In my humble opinion, the NJ laws are OK...

Ken
(I *know* that taxes dictate fuel prices more than the guys that own the
land the crude is pumped out of - be it domestic/middle east/north
sea/wherever...)