[rescue] SCRAPPLE

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 13 15:44:27 CST 2001

On November 13, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >   UPSes are your friends, man.
>
> I don't know about there, but here, when the power goes out, it has a
> tendency to stay out for a bit.  So, my systems on UPS just use it to
> shutdown ASAP.

  Hmm, that's a good point.  The four places I lived in Maryland while
I was there had pretty good power...fairly rare outages that never
lasted more than a minute or two.  Except for the tornado, of course,
which really sucked.

  The big problem with UPSing a large home computer room is the fact
that while we might be able to stretch and get enough UPS capacity for
all of our machines, we're seldom able to get enough for the air
conditioning systems.  During the tornado outage, the temp in my
computer room rose to nearly 100 degrees within 20 minutes before I
came back inside and started shutting things down.

    -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
St. Petersburg, FL