[rescue] memory trade, anyone? (and misc. x86 rambling)

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 13 14:29:30 CST 2001

If some memory weenie can answer this, I would love
to know the details myself.  From what I've been
able to find, it seems to be related to the newer
higher-density chips, and possibly the way refresh
cycles are handled.  I ended up trading a 256MB
PC133 DIMM straight-up for a 128MB PC133 DIMM that
a FOAF had--because the 128MB stick worked in my
target system.  I'm about to buy DIMMs to populate
an old TX motherboard, and I'm probably going to
specifically buy 128MB PC100 DIMMs even though the
MB supports a single 256MB DIMM--just so that I
can minimize potential problems.  It's a pain, but
it's still cheaper than buying EDO 72-pin SIMMs
for the older systems...

  --Rip