[rescue] memory trade, anyone? (and misc. x86 rambling)

Dan Sikorski rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 13 13:54:49 CST 2001

I have two micron PC133 ECC DIMM's that were purchased from crucial that
i would like to trade.  I can't get them to work in any of my machines,
but they work fine in my friend's KT7 athlon system (they seem to NEED a
133mhz bus, and my machines are all 100 and 66mhz) The labels on the
DIMMS say:

MT9LSDT1672G-133B1 PC133R-333-542-A1
US	BZAB61W010	200120
128MB, SYNCH, 133MHz, CL3, ECC

In exchange, I'm looking for memory that i can use in one of my
machines, ideally, a 256MB PC133 DIMM (non-ECC, probably) or two 128's

On a realated note, can someone tell me why this memory doesn't work?
My guess is that ECC modules MUST be run at the speed that they are
intended to run at, unlike their non-ECC bretheren.  Does that make
sense?  I tried this memory in my athlon (FIC SD-11) and my dual p2
(funky possibly-prototype micron dual p2 boad with a samurai chipset).

<OT babble>
Actually, that board is a story by itself, perhaps someone can shed some
light on it for me.  I got it on an ebay auction (cheaply, which was a
sign from the beginning) It's a dual p2/p3 board from micron with a
samurai chipset.  The only info i've ever found about such a board all
led to a board that has integrated SCSI and a few other things, which my
board doesn't have.  In linux (the only thing i've ever used the machine
for) the kernel detects the onboard IDE controller, and then proceeds to
detect a few more ide controllers, and locks up, but the board only has
plugs for one IDE controller.  The only way i've gotten around it is by
passing the kernel the options ide2=0 ide3=0, etc. so that it runs out
of ide interfaces supported by the kernel when it gets to those phantom
interfaces.  (trick i thought of from back when the kernel didn't have
real support for the Promise Ultra33 controller that i have) Anyway, i
figure that the board is some prototype or something, and that's why
it's a little funky.  Anyone ever seen a micron/samurai board before?
</OT babble>

hmm... that's enough rambling for now.

	-Dan Sikorski