[rescue] point of pride in SGI R10k vs. 1Ghz x86...

Mike Meredith rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 13 12:54:13 CST 2001

On Tuesday 13 November 2001 06:27, you wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >   Slower memory, sure...but likely not a slower memory *subsystem*.
> > PeeCees aren't known for their stellar memory subsystem designs.  I
> > don't have hard numbers, but I'd sure be interested if anyone does.
> > James L. perhaps?

http://www.futuretech.vourwerk.nl/sgi.html

Probably got the most useful information on older SGI's (just for those
who haven't found the site yet).

> This will probably earn me some flak, but in my opinion the memory
> subsystem is the weakest point of the design of the Indigo2, and the
> biggest improvement that is noted in the Octane.

The I^2 is *old* and was originally announced in 1993 (I believe). I
suspect the memory subsystem wasn't too bad for the time. Not that
you've said anything I really disagree with, but not everyone here may
know how old it is.

> Don't get me wrong, the I2 is my favorite SGI "desktop" in the
> affordable range.  Just be aware that you're more likely to run up
> against a memory bottleneck than anything else.

I'm hoping decent Octanes will be in the affordable range next summer.