[rescue] point of pride in SGI R10k vs. 1Ghz x86...

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 12 22:55:52 CST 2001

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 07:54:11PM -0800, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> Unless they are using GL calls, most of the gfx manipulations in both the
> GIMP and photoshop are handled by the CPU (in SGIs case at least). What I
> think is making the difference here is whether or not they are actually
> using the MIPSPro compiler or the GNU for Irix. SGI's compilers are
> excellent, and the code is significantly more optimized that gnu's even
> the x86 gcc for linux.

BTW, compiling GTK+ and the gimp using MIPS pro is darn easy.  Not a
single complaint, and the binaries just worked right.  Heck, getting those
to work, along with GTKGLArea, and misc other libraries was easier on Irix
than it was on Linux.  Just one reason why I am dieing to make the jump to
irix for my main workstation.

--
Joshua D. Boyd