[rescue] point of pride in SGI R10k vs. 1Ghz x86...

Big Endian rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 12 20:56:11 CST 2001

>keep in mind that the R10K isn't doing all the work.  that's what the gfx H/W
>is for.  that's what makes them SGI machines. :)

Actually (josh can beat me up if I'm wrong)  the stuff in
photoshop/gimp/etc don't take advantage of SGI gfx hardware.  I can
see where they might possibly use it but they don't.  R10ks have HUGE
balls, certainly more than enough to kick the ass of any athlon that
comes to play.

>>  (I once benched some compilation under x86 vs a SM51 on an old SS10.
>>  the SM51 is about as fast as a P166MMX in that case, or a >2.5
>>  multiplier over x86.)
>
>because the SS10 has significantly better I/O and is a better designed chip.
>more proof that Mhz don't mean fast.

Mhz means inhell can sell more of their pentagram 4 processors
because they run at 2000mhz!!!

daniel