[rescue] SCRAPPLE

Kurt Huhn rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 12 20:41:22 CST 2001

> frypan) scratches and dings don't matter.  It would take a hammer and cold
> chisel to damage the cooking surface on _Real_ cookware...

Damn straight!  The *only* pans that ever get use in my house are cast iron
cookware - readily available from your local
Target/WalMart/K-Mart/AceHardware/TrueValue/etc.

My wife and I tried Calphalon pans once - food just didn't taste right.
They became eBay fodder shortly afterwards.

The best things about cast iron?
1. naturally non-stick
2. inexpensive ($9 for a 12" frypan, $15 for a stock pot)
3. goes from stovetop, to oven, to table
4. longevity (your grandma still has the one she bought when your parents
were kids)
5. gets better the more you cook with it (after a few years of service,
nothing will stick in it, or burn onto it, or ruin it - well, nearly
nothing)
6. get then anywhere (the TrueValue around the corner has a full complement
in stock at all times)
7. easy cleanup (scrub with kosher salt and a paper towel and rinse, never
use soap or scrubbing sponges)
8. damn hard to screw up.  If you do burn something in it, put water in it
and let it set at low heat - that burned on scum wil lift right out.
9. if you do screw it up - it's easy to get another.

Kurt