[rescue] OT: Exabyte tape drive question

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 12 16:06:47 CST 2001

[ On Monday, November 12, 2001 at 16:28:25 (-0500), Mike Katchabaw wrote: ]
> Subject: [rescue] OT:  Exabyte tape drive question
>
> Will the drive overheat without a fan?

I suspect you can best answer that question by downloading and reading
the technical specs and/or installation manual for that particular
drive.

The only Exabyte manufactured cases I've ever see have had fans in them,
though that's not a guarantee they're needed for that model.

(Since I don't have a really carefully cleaned machine room (just a
basement room where sometimes I have a screen window open directly to
the outdoors) I've always taken the fan out, reversed it, and installed
a foam filter over what is now the intake -- I hate fans that exhaust
from the chassis and pull dirt in from all the other openings, and at
least then I can clean the filter easily!)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>