St. Pete (was RE: [rescue] Sun Ray Thoughts?)

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 12 11:19:52 CST 2001

On November 12, Loomis, Rip wrote:
> Bern's is over in Tampa.  It's not cheap, but for the
> quality of beef (extraordinary every time I've been)
> it's reasonable.  Wine list that is at least 100 pages,
> something like 60,000 bottles.  (Sometimes when they
> have bottles that haven't sold and are just past their
> peak, they'll put them our for by-the-glass.  Not many
> places will sell 20-year old Bordeaux by-the-glass.)
> And of course, the obligatory website:
>   http://www.bernsteakhouse.com/bs_frame.htm

  Oh My. :-)  I think I'll have to go find that place. 8-)

> If I ever get down there, I'll buy you the dinner I still
> owe you.

  Cool!

> Umm...er...uh...'spose I thought that between the move
> to FL and the "dumping B-trees to tape" questions, you were
> doing something different than what you'd been doing here
> in MD.  Color me clueless--but (other than possibly a lower
> cost of living and better scenery) what did occasion the
> move to FL?  Hmm..."no income tax" is also a factor I
> suppose...

  The B-trees thing was for the video surveillance project I've been
working on for a while.  I've made decent money on it so far from one
customer, and I will hopefully make some more in the future.  It
certainly doesn't count as regular income, however, which I still
[desperately] need to find.  Any assistance or advice there will be
GREATLY appreciated, by the way. :)

  I left the DC area for several reasons:

  - the stuff I moved there to do back in '93 is essentially over
  - the suit infestation
  - getting the "WHITE MUTHA FUCKA!" treatment while driving down the
      street, no matter how far outside of DC-proper I manage to move
  - ludicrous housing costs
      $0.25M for a mid-sized house in an overcrowded crime-ridden
      area with crappy weather? Come ON. B-(
  - disgusting brown chesapeake bay water
  - did I mention suits?
  - too cold in winter
  - too hot in summer

  ...and came to FL's gulf coast for these reasons:

  - more relaxed, less "adversarial" general population
  - I have some family down here
  - transparent water, what a concept
  - MUCH MUCH nicer weather (very close to the water, keeps it more temperate)
  - MUCH lower housing costs
  - people can be of different skin color without having to be ANGRY about it
  - I have some experience and history in this area:
    + I bought a house here, a duplex on the water, in '97 as an investment
    + My mom, aunt Dottie, and uncle Jack live in said house
    + I lived in Tampa for several months back in '92, liked it very much

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
St. Petersburg, FL