[rescue] OT: IBM rescue

Björn Ramqvist rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 12 05:45:25 CST 2001

I've just got my hands on an old AS/400 with two cabinets. The first one
seems to hold the AS/400 itself, and a 1/2" 6250BPI tapedrive. The other
cabinet holds four disk arrays and one 8" floppy drive.
I can't get any info out of the CPU cabinet, except for a sticker
labeled "AS/400 9406". I've come to the conclusion that this is an old
CISC-model (IBM-gray) and not even worth it's weight in steel?

Now for the disks. Three of the boxes are labeled "IBM 9336" and
contains three 5.25" disk drives each. They are coupled together with
long black 3-row God-knows-how-many-pin cables. The fourth box is
labeled "IBM 9337" and looks somewhat more modern. It is coupled to the
other boxes with a converter cable. (Different connectors at each end)
Behind the front panel there is five 3.5" disks labeled "IBM 0663". From
the IBM website these seems like ordinary 1.0GB SCSI-disks and has the
standard 4-pin power connector and 50-pin SCSI-connector.

When digging further at Google on "IBM 9337" it seems to be a
multi-platform array. (They mention RS/6000, Solaris and some other
boxes) This one has ordinary 68-pin Wide-SCSI connectors at the back and
it seems to be Diff-SCSI, judging from the fact that the longest cable
you can order is 24 meters. (25 meters maximum using Fast/Wide Diff
SCSI)

That array seems the only thing worth hauling since the other stuff is
either too old, too heavy or simply useless to me.
So, does anyone else know anything about these IBM 9337 arrays? Is it
worth rescuing this 45 kilogram piece?

/Bjorn