[rescue] Network problems

Shawn Wallbridge rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 11 14:51:16 CST 2001

I am trying to net boot a SS20 to install Debian. When I run test net I get
failures.

	ok test net

	Using AUI Ethernet Interface
	 Internal loopback test -- succeeded.
	 External loopback test -- Lost Carrier  (transceiver cable problem?)
	send failed.

	Using TP Ethernet Interface
	 Internal loopback test -- succeeded.
	 External loopback test -- Lost Carrier  (transceiver cable problem?)
	send failed.

	net selftest failed. Return code = -1

But when I watch-tpe it sees packets.

	ok watch-tpe

	Using TP Ethernet Interface
	 Internal loopback test -- succeeded.
	 External loopback test -- succeeded.
	Looking for Ethernet packets.
	'.' is a good packet.  'X' is a bad packet.
	Type any key to stop.

This doesn't really make sense to me. I have swapped a known working cable
and port and still no luck.

Here is the output when I try boot net....

	ok boot net
	Boot device: /iommu/sbus/ledma at f,400010/le at f,c00000  File and args:
	Lost Carrier  (transceiver cable problem?)
	Cable problem or twisted pair hub link-test disabled.
	Use the PROM command "help ethernet" for more information.

	Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet

And it keeps repeating.

I checked any variables in printenv and I didn't see anything except...

	ok printenv tpe-link-test?
	tpe-link-test?=        true

I also tried false but then it just repeats 'Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP
packet'.

I successfully booted off the network to install Debian yesterday on a
different machine. I have checked the config on the bootp/tftp server and
everything is fine. I ran tcpdump on another machine on the _hub_ while I
was attempting to boot and nothing showed up. I am doing this over a serial
console. I can send detailed logs if necessary.

Any ideas?

thanks
shawn